Willawaw Journal hosts two month-long submission windows:
August for the Fall Issue
and February for the Spring Issue
No work will be considered outside of these submission windows and all submissions must use the Duotrope Submissions Manager. This requires that you create a Duotrope account for your first submission in order to use DuoSuMa, but there is no charge for this.
Alaska Poet Laureate Tom Sexton’s “On the Death of Seamus Heaney” is the Fall 2021 prompt, posted on the home page.
You may also view it with ALL poet laureate prompts, click here.
General submissions are always welcome.
How to Submit?
Poetry and Art Submission Guidelines
Please submit up to five poems (previously unpublished) or up to ten images of original artwork. Simultaneous submissions are fine. Please notify us immediately if your work is accepted somewhere else. For prose poetry, please limit to 500 words or less.
To submit through Duosuma, please click here or on the button below (link opens in a new window/tab).
- POETS may include up to five poems which must appear within a single doc., one poem per page or pages, and which includes a short bio.
- No revisions after submission though there will be an opportunity to proofread just before the issue is launched.
- ARTISTS should send low rez images of their work (not to exceed 300 dpi) and include titles, materials, dimensions, and a brief artist’s statement with bio.
- Indicate in the cover letter whether you want to use initials or a different name to credit your poem or artwork.
- The short bio may include up to three to five publication venues and no more than one link to other work. It would please the editor if you would also place yourself on the world map (state, region, country, etc.).
- The journal is free to all and there are no reading fees. However, the online submissions manager is now fully integrated and this will usually include a small fee to help maintain the service and other costs associated with the support of all things Willawaw. For the “early birds” and those who may be financially unable to pay, the first week of the submission window (e.g. Aug. 1-7 and Feb. 1-7) will be “Tip Jar” only. Also, NO FEES FOR ART SUBMISSIONS. There are no payments to contributors at this time.
Note: Cover Art is drawn from the Submissions and will be used for promotional purposes.
Copyright returns to the poet or artist upon publication. The journal retains the non-exclusive right to hold the text or image in the archives.